I saw this muffin recipe on theppk.com and immediately knew I wanted to try them out. They have plenty of peach bites throughout, with just the right amount of sweetness. I only made a few changes based on the flours I had in my pantry, so feel free to go with the original recipe, or my slightly adapted version.
- Feel free to use only all purpose or only whole wheat pastry flour if that’s what you have on hand – I like the texture using a bit of almond flour adds
- You can also leave out the nutmeg if you don’t have any in the cupboard.
- I like to blanch my peaches which makes for easy peeling – Isa also recommends leaving the skins on if you like but if you have tougher outer skins I’d recommend peeling them first.
- The original recipe says it makes 12 muffins, but I made 14. Next time I would just add the extra batter to fill up the 12 muffins further so that they are a bit bigger.
Recipe adapted from Isa at theppk.com
1 cup of all purpose flour
1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup of almond flour
3/4 cup brown sugar, plus a little extra for sprinkling
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup almond milk (unflavoured and unsweetened)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups peeled and chopped peaches (from approx 3 large peaches)
1) Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly grease a muffin tin.
2) In a large mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients (flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and spices)
3) In a large measuring cup combine the wet ingredients (applesauce, almond milk, vinegar, oil and vanilla)
4) Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Combine with a wooden spoon until ‘just mixed’
5) Add the peaches and fold into your batter.
6) Scoop batter into greased muffin tins. They will be quite full. Sprinkle 1-2 tsp of brown sugar on top of each.
7) Bake for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. After a few minutes, transfer to a cooling rack to cool.
Makes 12 muffins.